This project is a great way to reuse those many empty plastic water bottles we all end up with. Having recently explored Pinterest for water bottle crafts, and not really seeing anything I liked, I decided to try out an idea I’ve been toying with for a while. So here we go …
Supplies used for this project.
- 500ml water bottles (dry and preferably with bumpy bottoms)
- 1L pop bottles (dry and preferably with bumpy bottoms)
- craft knife
- tea candle and matches
- spray paint (I used 5 colours – yellow, orange, pink, mauve, & purple)
- acrylic craft paint (I used antique white)
- small paint brush
- spray clear coat (not pictured here)
- Using a craft knife, cut off the bottom of the plastic bottle. Usually there is a ridge that you can use as line to cut along.
- Using scissors, cut out “V”s in the valleys between the bumps of the plastic bottle bottom.
- Light the tea candle. Melt the edges of the plastic bottle, by placing the edge near but not in the flame of the candle. Be careful and watch where your fingers are, keep them as far away from the flame as possible. Slowely rotate the edge as it melts. Do not touch the previously melted plastic, as it is hot. The edges will curl inward as the plastic melts.
- After all the flowers have been formed, it is now time to add some colour. Lay all your melted flowers out on a covered surface. Using your chosen colours of spray paint, spray your flowers. I did a light base coat on all of them, then went back and lightly added other colours to create a more realistic look.
- The last step is to add detail to the middle of your flowers. Using acrylic craft paint, paint a circle inside the middle of your flower. Next using outward strokes paint varying lengths of lines radiating out from this circle. To protect your painted flowers you may want to spray them with a layer of clear coat. Otherwise you are all done.
Now that your plastic bottle flowers are complete in what crafty and creative way will you use them?
I have a few idea’s of my own. You will just have to check back soon to find out what they are.